"The Cartoon Maker"

Started by chugalone100
4 replies 7 likes 0 followers Last activity: 1 hour ago
#5 6
@AlessandroSPQR

Hi Alessandro,

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm glad to hear that you agree with many of the points I made, and I especially appreciate your support and for being a fan of my artwork. That means a lot to me!

You asked me about my skydiving. Well, it wasn't military, but rather civilian sport skydiving, with freefall jumps.
My highest jump was from 11,000 feet, giving me a full 60 seconds of freefall before opening my parachute! It was quite an experience, and certainly not something you forget easily! 😄
It's wonderful to discover that you used to skydive, too. It seems we have more in common than just our love for model boats!

I'm also glad you enjoy experimenting with AI to enhance your model photographs. I find it fascinating because it allows us to take our hobby a little further and tell stories through our models.
For me, these cartoons are another way to celebrate the people behind the boats, their personalities, their workshops, and their passion for modeling.

Now, about that Cuban coffee versus Italian espresso debate! 😂
I have to admit that Italians have every reason to be proud of their espresso. But you haven't really experienced Cuban hospitality until someone offers you a tiny cup of Cuban cafecito!
It's strong, rich, sweet, and usually served in small cups.
We might have to arrange a friendly coffee competition someday, although I suspect we'd both be winners!

Regarding Cuba, if I ever return, it would be just as you did—as a visitor. Unfortunately, my memories of growing up there are not happy ones.
My family was persecuted because of our religious beliefs, and my childhood was marked by hardship. There were times when I had nothing—not even a pair of shoes to wear to school.

Those are painful memories, and although Cuba will always be the place where I was born, for me it also represents a very dark chapter of my life.
So, while I would perhaps like to visit one day, I have no desire to return to live there. I have built my life here in the United States, and this is home.

I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit Cuba and enjoy its waters through scuba diving. It's interesting how two people can visit the same place and come away with very different memories and experiences.

Thanks again, Alessandro, for your friendship, encouragement, and thoughtful message. It's people like you who make this forum such a wonderful place to share our work, exchange ideas, and get to know one another beyond our models.

Warm regards from sunny Miami, and here's a Cuban espresso to you! ☕🇨🇺
I hope you enjoy the new cartoon.

Julián
Liked by RNinMunich
#3 12
@chugalone100

Hi Julian, I agree with many of the points you’ve made.

You have a very interesting life story; as for your hands-on modeling skills, I think the images and posts you’ve shared speak for themselves—there’s really nothing more to add. I’m certainly a fan of your work.

I’ve also enjoyed using AI to edit images, though so far I’ve limited myself to placing my models in water or real-world settings; I haven't gone much further than that. You do it in such an enjoyable and entertaining way.

You also dispel the myth that modelers are inactive homebodies. I used to skydive too, though that was back when I was very young.
Did you do static-line or freefall jumps? Was it military or civilian/sport skydiving?
That reminds me of a YouTuber I follow—an exceptional ship modeler (and skilled in other areas, too)—who used to be a military parachute instructor in the US.

I’ve never visited Florida—though I’d ​​love to—but I have been to Cuba. I even went scuba diving there.
I hope you’ll be able to return to your home island without any issues and come back to Florida whenever you like in the future. It’s a realistic hope, and I truly wish for it to happen as soon as possible.

But let’s talk about Cuban coffee. We Italians are famous for—and proud of—our espresso.
Perhaps we’re a bit too parochial or arrogant about it, since any other coffee seems inferior to us.
I’m a bit of an exception, though; despite loving our national espresso, I’m open to other types and appreciate coffees that many others turn their noses up at.
To my regret, I don’t recall ever tasting Cuban coffee; when I visited Cuba, I tried the rum but not the coffee—what a shame.
Liked by chugalone100
#1 23

"The Cartoon Maker"

A Little About Me — And a Cuban Espresso for Everyone! ☕🚤

Hi, guys!

Since I've been having so much fun creating cartoons of some of our fellow model boat enthusiasts, I finally decided it was time to make one of myself! 😂

As you can see from the pictures on the wall behind me, modeling isn't my only passion. I'm a certified skydiver, a single-engine pilot, and a lifelong fan of anything that flies, floats, or comes from a galaxy far, far away!
Star Wars models have a special place in my heart, too.
But when it comes to boats, I have a particular weakness for tugboats, sternwheelers, and, most recently, the fantastic LesRo Rapier. Bob (Zooma) has certainly helped fuel my interest in that classic powerboat!

I live in sunny Miami, Florida, and today I'm offering everyone a little Cuban espresso. Be warned, though: it's strong enough to wake up the crew, start the engines, and get those building boards cleared! ☕🤣

My journey to this great country began in 1968, when I arrived from Cuba at the age of 12. One of my earliest memories here was visiting a five-and-dime store. That's where I encountered my very first model kit: the Revell USS Constitution, kit H-319, in 1:196 scale. That beautiful sailing ship started a passion that has stayed with me ever since. I've never really stopped building model ships!

Over the years, I've worked on all sorts of projects, but I especially enjoy bringing character to boats that have a story to tell. My current pride and joy is the Juanita, a sternwheeler that has kept me busy with everything from her superstructure and deck details to her lighting, wiring, and little finishing touches. Getting those lights working was a project in itself! I've also enjoyed working on other tugs and classic boats, and I always seem to have another project waiting in the wings.

One of the things I appreciate most about this forum is how much I've learned from all of you.
I've picked up countless tricks and techniques by following your building logs, studying your photographs, and reading your advice.
There is a tremendous amount of talent here, and I hope to keep learning from you for many years to come. I'll also do my best to share what I learn along the way.

I'm 70 and retired now, after many years working in the art and graphics department of a great display company. Even in retirement, they still call me when things get busy and they need an extra pair of hands! I guess old habits die hard. 😄

That background is probably one reason I enjoy creating these cartoons.
I've always loved working with images, graphics, and visual details. But for me, these aren't just funny pictures.
My aim is to capture something personal about each modeler: the boats we love, the workshops where we spend countless hours, the tools we treasure, and sometimes even the cats that supervise our work!

A model boat is much more than wood, glue, paint, and fittings.
Every model represents hours of patience, problem-solving, creativity, and a little stubbornness when something refuses to cooperate. Behind every boat there's a builder with a story worth telling. I'd like these cartoons to celebrate that.

So, if anyone would like a cartoon of themselves and their favorite models, feel free to send me a PM. A good photograph of your face and a few pictures of the boats you love would be a great starting point.
A picture of your workshop would be a bonus! I'll be delighted to put something together for you.

Thank you all for making this such a wonderful community. I'm proud to be part of it, and I look forward to seeing what everyone builds next.

Now, who wants an espresso? The coffee is ready, the Juanita is waiting, and the shipyard is open!

Happy modeling, everyone!

Julián (chugalone100)
Liked by RNinMunich and Ronald and

Sign in to add to this thread.

Delete this post?

It will be removed from the site.

Discard this draft?

Your draft will be deleted and cannot be recovered.

You have an unfinished draft

What would you like to do with it?